Thursday, January 26, 2012

Visiting Surgeon in the Middle East: Part 5

Wissam, who lives in Riyadh, had things to do and sent his associate to pick me up. Another Palestinian pharmacist met me outside and we were off to the Riyadh Military Hospital. Again, no parking.

The courtyard of the hospital was bustling. I was amazed to see people of all colors and ethnicities going into the hospital. The women were dressed in everything from African robes to Asian dresses, though they all had their heads covered (and some their faces). I figured that this hospital was likely a large training hospital for people across the Muslim world.

With much trepidation, I gave the security guard my passport in exchange for a temporary badge (he was not interested in my North Carolina drivers license). We walked the narrow, crowded corridors and found the office of the Chairman of Surgery, our destination. A sign on the door in English read “Meeting in Progress. Do not enter.” We went in anyway.

There, with his feet on his desk, junior faculty and residents nearby, and a cigarette in his mouth, was the Chief. We were warmly greeted and offered the residents’ seats. Noticing my quizzical look, he confessed that the sign was an attempt to keep the administration away so he could smoke in his office. It made me realize that the traits one needs to become a department chairman are the same everywhere in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment